Orkney Christmas Plum Pudding
225 g (8oz) butter
2 cups of mixed dried fruit
1 cup grated apple
1/2 cup golden syrup
1 1/2 cups SR flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
Brandy or substitute
(1/2 cup – or enough to moisten the dry fruit).
• Soak the mixed fruit for 2 or more days in brandy in a sealed bowl. Store in the refrigerator.
• Combine melted butter, grated apples, golden syrup and brandied mixed fruit.
• Add beaten eggs and mix together.
• Combine dry ingredients and sift into mixture. Stir.
• Grease 1.5L (3 pint) pudding container (lidded) and line bottom to allow pudding to come out easily.
• Fill pudding container to 3/4 to allow for rising of mix and put on lid.
Cook for 5 hours on high in large crockpot or saucepan with enough water to reach half way up. Check water level occasionally.
Warm pudding in microwave. Cut small hole in top. Pour warm brandy over pudding and light the brandy.
• For a gluten-free recipe, use gluten-free flour.
• You can replace the golden syrup with brown sugar
• Replace the brandy with apple juice, apple cider or white grape juice.