Pumpkin Soup (serves 8)
2 large onions, chopped.
2kg (4 and 1/2 pounds) peeled pumpkin (choice a mix of different varieties, if available)
2 large peeled potatoes
4 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock
5 cloves of garlic
- Cook chopped onion lightly in a large well-oiled saucepan. Do not brown.
- Cut potatoes and pumpkin into chunks add to onion in saucepan. Add garlic and sauté over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock. It doesn’t need to cover all the vegetables
- Cook with lid on, and stir occasionally until vegetables are soft.
- Puree with a hand-held blender or food processor
Serve with sour cream and chives
For an Asian touch you can add chilli powder and serve with a dollop of coconut cream and roasted pumpkin kernels.
(To roast the pumpkin kernels, spread kernels on an oven tray and bake for 6 minutes or until brown.)