In a hurry to get dinner before the next work shift, netball practice or music lesson? This recipe is baked on only two trays and takes 20 minutes to prepare – then 35 minutes to cook. You can prepare for the next day, and catch up on a phone call while it’s cooking.
Mediterranean Chicken Bake
I kg of chicken thighs, cut in half
1 eggplant, sliced
1 red capsicum, cut into six pieces
2 zucchini, cut in thick slices
1 large red onion, cut into eight pieces
3 potatoes, each cut into six pieces
3 twigs of rosemary
Roasted pine nuts
Preheat the oven to moderate.
Toss chicken thighs in oil
Toss all vegetables in a large plastic bag containing oil, until coated
Spread chicken and vegetables on 2 large trays covered with baking paper
Bake in moderate oven for 35 minutes or until cooked.
Serve in a casserole dish: 24cm x 36cm (9.5 inch x 14 inch)
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and roasted pine nuts.
1 cup walnuts
2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- Combine walnuts and maple syrup in a bowl
- Spray with oil until coated and stir together.
- Spread on a tray.
Cook in a moderate oven for 4-5 minutes or until golden.
French Chicken and Leek Pies
1 BBQ chicken
1 leek (washed)
250 g mushrooms
1 ½ cups of white sauce (See Tips, Sauces and Other recipes section)
3-4 puff pastry sheets and milk or beaten egg for brushing.
- Make the white sauce ahead
- Grease small casserole dishes
- Shred two breasts of the BBQ chicken, after removing the skin.
- Fry sliced mushrooms and chopped leek together
- Mix chicken, mushrooms and leek with the white sauce
- Place into individual ovenproof dishes
- Top with pastry, cut to size and pricked
- Brush top of pastry with milk or egg
Bake in a hot oven for 10 minutes then turn down to moderate heat until puffed and golden.
This recipe looks impressive with its golden pastry and delicious French-inspired combination of chicken, leeks and mushrooms. Apart from the white sauce—it’s so easy to make.
Use the left-over white sauce for another recipe, such as cauliflower mornay or tuna bake.
You can substitute the BBQ chicken with poached chicken breasts. Simply bring the breasts to the boil in a saucepan and simmer for a few minutes with a cut onion and herbs until cooked through.
Sauces, Tips and Other Recipes
Basic White sauce
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup plain flour (all-purpose)
3 1/2 cups milk
- Add flour and seasoning to melted butter, (do not boil) in a saucepan, and stir until smooth.
- Stir over a low heat for I minute but don’t brown.
- Add milk and stir continually until it thickens and boils.
Atlantic Salmon Bake (serves 4)
(One dish recipe)
4 pieces of Atlantic salmon
1 leek, chopped
2 lemons, one juiced and one quartered
½ cup white wine or vegetable stock
3 small zucchini, thickly sliced
3 carrots, thickly sliced
3 crushed garlic cloves
- Place all ingredients in a large low casserole dish. Put the salmon with the skin underneath.
- Drizzle with oil
- Bake in a pre-heated, moderate oven for 25 minutes or until cooked.
Crisp, roasted potato and sweet potato (kumara), chopped in small pieces, and lemon slices.