Walnut and Beetroot Salad
2 small kumera (peeled and cut into rounds)
2 beetroot (peeled and cut into small wedges)
3 cups baby spinach leaves
1 small red onion or 3 shallots (chopped)
3/4 cup candied walnuts (see recipe below)
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
Dressing to taste.
- Bake the kumera and sweet potato on a baking paper in a moderate oven until soft, not browned.
- Mix spinach leaves and onion in a large low bowl
- Top with sweet potato, beetroot, walnuts and drizzle with dressing.
Candied walnuts: After much trial and error with online recipes, I have the best way to candy the walnuts:
- Mix the walnuts in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and a spray of oil.
- Spread out on a tray and bake in a moderate oven for around 6 minutes or until golden. (Use a timer to avoid burning them.)
- They will also keep cooking on the tray once you remove them from the oven.
Notes: Bake the kumera and beetroot ahead—even the day before. The beetroot will need an extra cooking time. Don’t mix the beetroot through the salad to avoid staining. You may like to double the candied walnuts recipe. They are delicious to snack on, use as an addition to any salad and they last for weeks in a glass container.